Uncategorized

4th Stimulus Checks Coming Thanks to Inflation Surge?

Stimulus Checks
Stimulus Check Example. Image Credit: Creative Commons.

Inflation Surges 7%: More Stimulus Checks Coming?: Inflation climbed at the fastest pace in nearly four decades in December, giving even more fuel to calls of another round or two of stimulus checks.

According to a new U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics report released on Wednesday, the consumer price index (CPI), a metric that measures costs across dozens of items, surged 7 percent—the fastest increase witnessed since June 1982.

The price increases were widespread. Energy prices slumped 1.1 percent in December from the previous month, but they are still up nearly 30 percent from the year prior. Meanwhile, gasoline costs nearly 50 percent more than last year, food prices 6.3 percent higher, and used car and truck prices more than 37 percent higher.

Added all up and it appears that more financial struggles will be on the way for many Americans.

“This morning’s CPI read really only solidifies what we already know: Consumer wallets are feeling pricing pressures and in turn the Fed has signaled a more hawkish approach. But the question remains if the Fed will pick up the pace given inflation is seemingly here to stay, at least in the medium-term,” Mike Loewengart, managing director for investment strategy at E-Trade, told CNBC.

“With Covid cases continuing to rise, the impact on the supply chain and labor shortages could persist, which only fuels higher prices,” he continued.

Seema Shah, chief strategist at Principal Global Investors, told Fox Business that “inflation at 7 percent is no joke. It’s the highest annual CPI number since 1982 and driven not by energy prices, but by just about everything else.”

Pandemic Fight Continues: What That Means for Stimulus Checks?

Making matters worse is the fact that the coronavirus pandemic fight is far from over—a health crisis that has already propelled Congress to approve the delivery of three stimulus checks to most Americans—a $1,200 check in April 2020, $600 in December, and the $1,400 payments approved last March under President Joe Biden’s American Rescue Plan.

Despite these timely and generous checks entering the bank accounts of millions of cash-strapped Americans, it appears that both Biden and Congress are still being pressed daily to quickly approve another round of stimulus checks.

Stimulus Checks Petition Reaches Goal

It was just this past weekend when a highly popular Change.org petition—launched by pandemic-hit Denver-area restaurant owner Stephanie Bonin—reached its three-million signature goal.

“My name is Stephanie, and I am one of millions of Americans who fear for my financial future because of this coronavirus crisis,” the petition says.

“I’m calling on Congress to support families with a $2,000 payment for adults and a $1,000 payment for kids immediately, and continuing regular checks for the duration of the crisis,” it continues.

Now, it appears that reaching 4.5 million signatures is the next ambitious target, as that would make the petition one of the top signed ever on Change.org.

Ethen Kim Lieser is a Washington state-based Science and Tech Editor who has held posts at Google, The Korea Herald, Lincoln Journal Star, AsianWeek, and Arirang TV. Follow or contact him on LinkedIn.

1. SG

January 13, 2022 at 1:53 am

Why are only certain people getting more stimulus, it should be everyone or no one. Just because you have children, then you should be going back to work if you were laid off. Some of us that are on SSI & SSID could use the extra stimulus. Since some of us do not have a place to live other than a 1 room to live without a kitchen, could use the extra money to help find something else out there.

2. olvie Copsy wilcox

January 13, 2022 at 4:50 am

When will the 4th stimulus checks come to our bank accounts and what does this mean for those of us on ssi and disability that don’t get Medicare because of their age factor like me

3. Bonnie

January 13, 2022 at 8:00 am

It would be great if the federal government would help us with another round of stimulus?That is the thought but reality as we all know it is the government only helps the people
    Who DONT need It ?If they should break down and send a 4th stimulus check rest assured we will have to pay that one back as well.Im tried of begging them to just DO THE RIGHT THING ?

4. Roxie

January 13, 2022 at 8:17 am

I understand stimulus to help either kids, however our elderly (SSI/SSDI) need help too. They barely get enough now some don’t. We should be helping them like they took care of us in our early years. Come on people, fair is fair…

5. Khireasha David

January 13, 2022 at 8:49 am

I’m a single parent that was been taken advantage of by this state and my children where taken away from me illegally I didn’t abuse or neglect my children and fact got lied on for a meal ticket I’ve been trying to find a attorney and reached the state who taken my child and been given the run around on purpose so the state limits would expire I been pushed back into a situation so I look incompetent and like a person who neglected they child I will explain fully in detail with a correct attorney who can take my matter cause this has been above and beyond thanks hallelujah amen I need Alot help my rights were violated as a us citizen and a parent who really cares deeply for her children state been taking advantage of me every since making false allegations and bringing individuals who doesn’t like me to lie against me and while they denied me everything and lock away real evidence and bring up lies in court

6. Phyllis

January 13, 2022 at 9:05 am

I agree with SG above, other states had their stimulus checks but Iowa was always left out. It’s time to make it fair by everyone should get checks. They can’t go by what governor Reynolds says because she’s a lier. What she does is what Donald Trump tells her. We deserve better than her. Trust us the people in Iowa not our governor Reynolds.

7. Patricia Mills

January 13, 2022 at 9:06 am

My husband of 42 yrs recently passed away from cancer and social security denied me his social security and survivor or widows pay because they said my ssdi of 814
    00 was more than his 517 disqualified me from receiving his benefit so I will have to pay my rent and utilities and other Bill’s on my small amount It does not cover anything I’m a senior who has had a stroke I’ve not got even enough money left to buy food for the month what’s going on with this country

8. Victor Jacobs

January 13, 2022 at 10:00 am

I need help I am HIV patient and I am building disabled but since 1999 and I have full-blown Aids HIV please help me get my concern I need money and I need help I have a 4 person I know that I have nowhere to live for nothing God bless you and help me thank you for your time being at the Sun I have full grown age

9. Calvin Hall

January 13, 2022 at 10:15 am

I agree the republican & democrats should get on broad for us elderly and disabled like NOW & ASAP build back better we need a 4th stimulus for us on social security and the politicians should remember it’s seniors that vote now we need them both to do the right thing us now

10. Jeffrey A Hopkins

January 13, 2022 at 12:30 pm

Another stimulus check would only stimulate the economy if it were followed by another and another, reoccurring payments would help everyone, the previous three only helped businesses who should have had insurance. Also why are veterans the last to be mentioned and attended to despite being on fixed incomes derived from being injured serving this country as well as seniors who built it one way or another!
    Why do we always have to fight for something that should be out do.
    ONLY IN AMERICA

11. Kysha Walker

January 13, 2022 at 12:36 pm

What about the people who keeps catching this Corona crap where is our payment , missising work no harzard pay here in Mississippi we are catching h@ll my unemployment was denied really goverment yall are really going againts my Civil rights and admendments whats the purpose of having it if we are still gonna be treated like crap.