Uncategorized

4th Stimulus Checks Thanks to Omicron? Don’t Spend That $1,400 Just Yet

Stimulus Checks
Image Credit: Creative Commons.

Could Omicron Prompt Discussions for More Stimulus Checks?: For those Americans who are still in denial, know that the data are overwhelming. Another devastating COVID wave is indeed here and this time it is due to the new and highly mutated Omicron variant, which now represents 95 percent of all sequenced cases in the United States, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The country is currently averaging about five hundred fifty thousand newly reported infections per day over the past week, says Johns Hopkins University data, and even more concerning is the rising trajectory of more Americans being admitted to hospitals. According to a seven-day average of data released by the Department of Health and Human Services, there is a 40 percent surge from just one week ago.

Financial Consequences Mean 4th Stimulus Checks?

Given all of these facts, it really shouldn’t come as a surprise that there will surely be financial struggles in the offing for tens of millions of hardworking Americans. That’s why, some are contending, this could be the perfect moment for Congress to green-light another round of stimulus checks.

“While federal and state governments seem hesitant to force lockdowns again, local shutdowns may begin occurring due to lack of employees able to work because they are in quarantine,” says finance writer Dawn Allcot at GOBankingRates.

“Plus, in spite of jobless rates being low and the economy seemingly strong, many Americans are still struggling to recover financially. A U.S. Census survey taken the first two weeks of December 2021 showed that more than 25 percent of Americans struggled to meet household expenses the prior week,” she continues.

However, there has been no mention of stimulus checks in Washington for months, as the Biden administration has pivoted its efforts to getting the highly contentious Build Back Better legislation passed.

“At this point, I’d say the odds of another round of stimulus checks are fairly slim,” Riley Adams, a senior financial analyst for Google and chief editor of Compare Forex Brokers, told the same personal finance resource site.

Stimulus Checks: Millions Stand Behind Petitions

It appears that many experts hold similar sentiments, but that hasn’t necessarily quieted the millions of Americans who continue to demand more government-issued direct payments.

The highly popular Change.org petition launched by pandemic-hit Denver restaurant owner Stephanie Bonin is now fewer than a thousand signatures away from hitting its three-million target.

“I’m calling on Congress to support families with a $2,000 payment for adults and a $1,000 payment for kids immediately, and continuing regular checks for the duration of the crisis,” she writes in the petition.

Not to be outdone, there is yet another stimulus check petition launched by the Senior Citizens League—but these $1,400 payments would only be for recipients of Social Security benefits.

Ethen Kim Lieser is a Washington state-based Science and Tech Editor who has held posts at Google, The Korea Herald, Lincoln Journal Star, AsianWeek, and Arirang TV. Follow or contact him on LinkedIn.

1. David Dutra

January 7, 2022 at 3:27 am

You really need to stop getting hopes up by saying things are going to happen just to drop us on our heads!!!

2. Cassey

January 7, 2022 at 7:55 am

Us Citizens are suffering still with putting food on the table and keeping bills paid. 1400 does not go far when rent is as high as it is and here in Alabama our governor wants prisons built with the MILLIONS of dollars that was provided to our state instead of helping us.

3. Tim Hertenstein

January 7, 2022 at 9:35 am

In the state of Iowa all the COVID relief funds have been put into the governor’s campaign fund and other programs that will not do a darn thing for the people who are suffering . It’s a shame, but that’s politics when it comes to big money..it all fills somebody’s pocket.

4. Face

January 7, 2022 at 11:01 am

Y’all political fools really don’t know an apple from a orange so stop playing games with people’s lives

5. Mari

January 7, 2022 at 11:34 am

Alot of poepke been affected in the month of December 2021 this covid aint going away you all always talking about helping families with kids or recipient with social security but qhat about us that don’t have any kids under age and still struggling to make ends meat why dont ya help us

6. Barbara

January 7, 2022 at 2:26 pm

They need more stimulus not just for dependents but for individuals too like they did in round 1 and 2

7. Donald Nicholson

January 7, 2022 at 2:53 pm

I don’t like the word offing instead of offering I’m sure. 😃😊😃😃😊 If you were born here you should be able to collect stimulus!

8. Donald Nicholson

January 7, 2022 at 3:02 pm

Congress has total control, people support their families and single people suffer especially in today’s world. Not everyone makes as much as you. I’m not saying poor me just saying I’m poor! But rich in love of the Lord!

9. Don T

January 7, 2022 at 3:23 pm

“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” ~ Alexis de Tocqueville

10. Veronica

January 7, 2022 at 4:46 pm

All of these stimulus, covid relief, public assistance, free food, shelter provided, ebt giveaways needs to stop. It’s making people lazy. They would rather collect than work. No one wants to work. People quit after the first check because they “make more being home.” If an individual has food and shelter there is no need to work.

11. What a disgrace

January 7, 2022 at 5:06 pm

The rich that have always been rich will never know what it feels like to be poor or of low income. They act as if they care but its all a front. Half of the world would not be suffering if we were all offered the same opportunities as everyone else in the upper class. Its really sad how you see so many minority struggling for decades after all that they have done to help build America and everything they went through before they were even considered legal. Certain people have been rich for decades and have businesses, land, and properties handed down through generations while the minority is still struggling, and never given the opportunities that others had for decades.Its totally unfair the way that the world is operated.I can’t understand why the world works this way. Give the people some real help and stop making it look like your helping.We need way more than a stimulus and we should have been had it generations ago just like everyone else. They will never know what it feels like to be low income, homeless, falsely imprisoned, accused because of our skin color and so many other things that we have been feeling for ions. They truly never cared as long as they have their beautiful struggle free lives. We are people too and we should have so much more then we do.When will we get it easily? When will we be able to throw away millions on whatever we want? When will we be able to just pass down land and businesses to our families? When will be recognized as equal? $1400 stimulus what a joke! We are worth and deserve so much more!! Stop building jails to imprison people and put it towards bettering lives and families so that people don’t have to commit the same crimes that the rich commit, except for the rich don’t go to prison. The struggling and poor go to prison cause they wanna feel what they never felt. They wanna feel rich too and be able to live beautiful lives with their families. Change is so good!

12. Alexsis Whitley

January 7, 2022 at 5:32 pm

More Stimulus packages need to go to help more of people without jobs who cant get them because they dont have a phone or a physical or mailing address people not on food stamps or other Gov. Funding programs people that are still without a vehicle with no way to get around besides thier feet….
    People are being helped by the stimulus packages but its has been so far almost the only ones who are being helped are the ones already getting help like the ones on unemployment benefits or the ones on food stamps and programs like that …….what bout the ones of us that cant get any of that help

13. Terri

January 7, 2022 at 5:39 pm

Sure would be nice if our senior citizens could get some more money. They give you a little bit of raise in Social Security and then Medicare goes up and your supplemental health insurance goes up your prescription plan goes up you still in the hole every month. You don’t actually make any extra money. I’m just barely keeping my head above water. I’m so glad I don’t have a house payment.

14. Joyce W Sullivan

January 7, 2022 at 9:31 pm

Boy everyone hear said it so true everyone of you’ll it seems to me they don’t care about the poor or senior’s it’s a shame they treat us Americans like this me need new blood in the white house and capital hill most of them have been there for years they are burnt out they have money what do they care

15. Amber

January 8, 2022 at 1:29 am

It’s sad, the only stimulus I got was the California one all the others went to my child support. Which to me is unfair and I know a few people just like me that never got theirs.. I don’t understand it I’ve been a citizen all my life. I owned my own salon before covid an was doin well now it’s been what? 2 three years of this an now I have nothing no shop.no employees. Just sold the last mobile shop/ van 2 weeks ago to pay rent an feed kids,literally have 137 in my account after all is said an done and in another 23 24 days I’ll owe all over again so I gotta come up with a plan to pay rent again.. I just feel like the government is selective in who they want to help some people even got away with unemployment fraud an ppp loans I got none of that because I didn’t qualify which makes no sense because I’ve had my storefront at least 4 years how do I as an independent contractor am not eligible? Make it make sense/cents.. our government isn’t fair

16. Teresa

January 8, 2022 at 2:26 am

I am one that has had been affected by covid 1 year ago and have my share of struggles since then. It’s not just physically & emotionally but financially as well. I live in Texas and I see that the ppl that are receiving the so called money considered as stimulus is the child credit approved ppl and also got a check for the holidays as an assistance for the holiday expense and a big $1200 in foodstamps per child…but there is a great amount of us that have our kids grown and want to work but can’t & don’t qualify for a stimulus or other benefits due to certain reasons for example the car owned or property value. Meanwhile down towards the border of Texas & Mexico all the ppl from the caravan are receiving all kinds of Free assistance & benefits! WTHech?! I don’t qualify for any medical help and have to pay for private insurance still I am unable to work due to my health issues having such a hard time just paying my bills how do they expect up to $300 to $400 a month for the Biden care act med insurance?!…I Feel Like I’m Being Pushed Off The Cliff…SMH!

17. Alicia

January 8, 2022 at 3:09 am

What about Pennsylvania? What about people with out families and has no one and works there life away making over time as possible but there hasn’t been much work we need help you guys are raising prices everything is going up not only gas but when I say everything I mean everything like we struggling stimulus checks should be for everyone not only some people it isn’t fair I’m not trying to be stingy I just need the help I need a roof over my head there hasn’t been anything no work jobs let go no one is realizing the economy is crashing Im not out here spending it on brand new ps5’s I’m out here trying to keep a living and a roof over my head is that all to ask for

18. Katie McClintock

January 8, 2022 at 3:10 am

I’m am a ssi person and yet no one in ssi will be getting any more of the stimulus check why do you guys tease us by telling people “oh here comes another stimulus check but not everyone will get it like ssi” it would tell people that who can’t work should. I would love it if everyone including ssi to get the stimulus check thank you

19. Alicia

January 8, 2022 at 3:12 am

And I couldn’t have said it better than what a disgrace.🤷🏽‍♀️

20. Alicia

January 8, 2022 at 3:13 am

And I couldn’t have said it better than what a disgrace.🤷🏽‍♀️

21. Ryan

January 8, 2022 at 11:08 am

Don’t you mean don’t spend that $2,000 just yet!?!?

22. Dstanford

January 8, 2022 at 11:16 am

Their not teasing people,their doing what they do best,lying,nothing new,their saying one thing to get our attention on the stimulus checks while their up to no good doing other things that will hurt us later down the line,this is the difference with this administration and the last,with the last when we was told something it happened with this one it’s just words,their working on making everyone dependent of the government,in California everything has went through the roof on prices,from food to rent, especially gas,dont hold your breath for help unless your waiting for another variant,or another booster shot,that we will get,but other than that we’re wasting our time,divide the months we’ve been in this mess but the amount of money we’ve been giving,giving not to work and stay at home,in California so fast it’s been $3200,and then look how much money the government has used,look how many billions went to other countries,how much money in weapons was left in the Afghan fumble,it will never get any better unless we do something,how many people of this administration has went without anything while we starve and worry how we’re gonna make it through the next month,remember pelosi’s interview on tv how she talked about her two giant refrigerators and he huge stash of ice cream when we suffered under their thumb,it’s not going to get better,we have to make it better.

23. Caine

January 8, 2022 at 12:01 pm

Fun fact Democrats have no interest in helping anyone but themselves truth be told if we had a Republican as president we’d probably wouldn’t all be here talking about a stimulus package or check we’d already have it, however we got a Democrat as president witch means if it’s not good for the party or fits their priorities they’re less likely going to help, now we could all sit here and wish for another round of stimulus money but truth be told that’s not going to happen, our only option is to deal with it sucks but sadly it’s also the truth, however the only way our government will actually help any of us is when we’re all forced back into a lockdown situation again than and only then will talks begin again with helping anyone

24. Doing Nothing Fed

January 8, 2022 at 12:14 pm

This whole article is clickbait for ad revenue and an opinion piece. For those being riled up by it may I suggest you stop reading opinion piece articles. When or if the Govt decides to pay out more stimulus it will be known via public statements not random websites.

Some points made are valid, it’s not a Democrat or Gop issue. Washington DC is out of touch on many many parts of how there decisions impact people. Career politicos don’t know really what it’s like for the single parent or the elderly who barely live above water.

Stop voting party lines, start getting educated on what potential elected officials say. We are not the United States or We the People anymore. Money is a driving factor and if you didn’t have to work for that money it is easy to spend it on trash (this applies to the Govt and individuals too). Stimulus #1 released and oddly enough Big screen TV go on sale for the same price 1200.00 at Walmart.

‘Murica F@#k Yeah….

25. Tired of it

January 8, 2022 at 1:02 pm

When you elect a bunch of clowns expect a circus pretty much says it all remember your posts and views when it comes time to cast your ballots

26. Anna J Storms

January 8, 2022 at 1:43 pm

The Americans need HELP & are struggling. You keep paying money out too people that have kids, well the people that don’t have children need help NOW!!! But y’all in Congress aren’t struggling & don’t gave a crap about the American people!!!! Shame on all of you!!!!!! 😡😡😡😡

27. Anthony Wade Osburn

January 8, 2022 at 2:59 pm

This is and insult to the American people. Im a single man and I haven’t received any stimulus sense after biden was elected. So this administration has failed single Americans and left us out of the stimulus. This administration under Joe biden has lied to the people constantly about stimulus. Single was hurt the most because of job layoffs during covid. I won’t be voting for either party.

28. Tamone

January 8, 2022 at 4:01 pm

People only got two stimulus check n y’all saying we might get a fourth stimulus. But only California got those. Either send it or just stop talking about it

29. Ron

January 8, 2022 at 4:46 pm

Peddle your bs to the idiot liberals in this country by the way go fuk yourself!