Uncategorized

Chiappa Rhino 60DS Might Be the Best 357 Magnum You Can Buy

Chiappa Rhino 60DS
Chiappa Rhino 60DS. Image Credit: Creative Commons.

Chiappa Rhino 60DS, a Short Review – If I started talking about “a weird, futuristic looking revolver” you’d almost immediately know I was talking about the Chiappa Rhino 60DS.

This .357 variety (at least mine) is a pretty odd gun, but it covers all the bases and its signature look isn’t only for form though, it’s also functional. It’s probably one of my favorite revolvers in the rotation at the moment, however, it’s not a revolver you absolutely need to buy right away.

There are plenty of reasons to get it, but it’s definitely a “buy it when you have a good chunk of change to spend” gun.

Read on to find out more about the Chiappa Rhino chambered in .357 Magnum.

Chiappa Rhino 60DS: The Specs

The pistol looks like it was pulled straight out of the year 2080. It has hard edges and an angular cylinder, something I’m personally a fan of. The hammer is almost entirely shrouded by metal when forward. My pistol came with wooden grips that were nicely stippled and fit my hand well. You’ll also find that there are weight reduction holes cut out of the top where your barrel would normally sit.

This brings us to the defining physical aspect of the Chiappa Rhino: the low bore axis barrel. This changes things significantly.

Chiappa claims that the lower barrel aligns it with the wrist, hands, and arms giving way to virtually no muzzle rise. While this isn’t true, it does considerably reduce recoil, even for .357 magnum, which isn’t particularly soft shooting. I was extremely impressed. If the smaller version has anywhere near the same recoil reduction, it would be a worthy carry piece if you like revolvers.

The accuracy is acceptable. It’s not blowing every other revolver out of the water, but it’ll get the job done for sure. Shooting at 25 yards gave me pretty tight groups, even with iron sights. If you want to throw an optic on the top picatinny rail, you can probably get some much better shots than me. I didn’t end up vigorously testing out to long distances but I took a few shots. They all landed on the target. I didn’t get any fliers so I’m happy with it.

I think its mix of accuracy, caliber, and lack of recoil would make this a great “in the woods” gun. It might be a little big for an open-carry gun, but I don’t really recommend open carry in general if you can help it.

The Chiappa Rhino 60DS is a weird gun, but it proves itself with some excellent design choices like the barrel that reduces recoil and solid accuracy that’ll get the job done in any situation that calls for .357 mag. The only problem is that the Rhino is going to put a pretty big dent in your bank account. The Chiappa Rhino 60DS retails for nearly $1300 which is a pretty steep price to pay even if it is awesome.

So yeah, buy the Chiappa Rhino 60DS with caution. It’s a fantastic weapon and I’m glad I have it in my collection.

Richard Douglas writes on firearms, defense, and security issues. He is the founder and editor of Scopes Field and a columnist at the National Interest, 1945, Daily Caller, and other publications.

Richard Douglas is a long-time shooter, outdoor enthusiast, and technologist. He is the founder and editor of Scopes Field, and a columnist at The National Interest, Cheaper Than Dirt, Daily Caller, and other publications.

1. Patrick Callahan

May 19, 2022 at 9:43 pm

I have a 200DS with 357/9mm cylinders from Chiappa. It won’t even ignite 357 primers due to its “unique” design. It’s a Crapiappa. A novelty gun from a novelty gun manufacturer. Don’t believe the hype. You cannot trust this design. Don’t even consider it worthy of being called a revolver. Just look at the internal design of it.

2. Kyle W.

May 20, 2022 at 9:45 am

I bought the 40DS back in 2019. Retail was $940 I belive. Ordered from PSA, arrived quickly and the bore was junk. Surface rust and pitting/tool chatter. After fire lapping the bore it went from 6″ at 15yds to just under 4″. I would order a new barrel but it’s an FFL item (stupid) and wouldn’t be covered by the warranty (also stupid). Not the best but pretty cool looking and functioning.

3. Bob

May 20, 2022 at 2:32 pm

I’ll stick with my trusty first version 686 stainless.

4. Mark Adams

May 21, 2022 at 2:15 pm

Yeah that finger burn from the chamber on the bottom is great

5. Jay

May 21, 2022 at 7:27 pm

One of the best is the 30DS easy to tuck away and goes bang on point everytime, check you tube and you will see them in action all over. One of the best revolvers out there. I also shot bufflo bore heavy outdoor through the thing with no problem

6. Jason

May 23, 2022 at 5:22 am

The more I read articles from this author, the more convinced I am of his idiocy. There is no place for this boat anchor in anyone’s arsenal. You could put $1300 to use much more wisely. As other commenters have stated, the build quality is poor, the bottom cylinder firing chamber will burn your fingers, and it is an ugly clunky thing to boot! Stick with the classics. If you don’t like the big frame S&W, go for Ruger. I have both in 357 and 44 and love them dearly.

7. Donnie Humfress

May 23, 2022 at 5:51 pm

I guess you’ve never heard of the actual best revolver you can buy. A Korth. Is it expensive? Yes but anyone who has shot it will tell you there’s not a better revolver on the market.

8. DThunderGunB

May 25, 2022 at 6:11 pm

I haven’t shot one but have got to hold one and check it out, I can’t speak for accuracy as I unfortunately didn’t get to shoot it. I really wanted to though, I think the lower bore axis would work well but like other comments have stated I’d probably choose to wear gloves so my fingers don’t get burned. Personally I like the traditional old school wheel guns and 1911’s. I grew up being able to target shoot with my PawPaw’s 1911 45acp and his Ruger Redhawk with an 8″ barrel. That damn thing is a tac driver! My CCW has been a 1911 since I was 23, before that I had a NEF Double action 5 shot revolver chambered in 32 H&R Mag! I miss that little pistol it was a snubby and fit in my boot nicely, carried it forever as a backup to my 1911. I recently ventured out of my comfort zone with a buddy letting me try his Beretta 92 FS and now I got a 92X RDO as my CCW. He also had a Glock clone from shadow systems and I tried it and still don’t like Glock or their clones… Maybe one day when build quality improves, and I actually have the money to burn, I’ll have one. I was sold on one after watching Jerry Michulek hold one upside down and pulled the trigger with his pinky and ping steel at 50 yards first shot! Jerry is the best shooter in the US though so I wouldn’t expect to get the same results though lol