Trillions - 19FortyFive

2022 Stimulus Check Update: New York State Is Sending $1,050 Checks

Stimulus Check
Image Credit: Creative Commons.

Here’s What New York’s Latest Stimulus Check Offer Looks Like – New York state has started mailing out this year’s tax rebate checks for homeowners several months early, with homeowners getting much-needed financial relief weeks before they go to the polls and vote in the first round of statewide primary elections.

Notably, the relief ‘stimulus check’ is arriving before June 28 this year, when unelected Governor Kathy Hochul – former Lieutenant Governor of New York who replaced disgraced former Governor Andrew Cuomo in August last year – faces her first election challenge. Hochul will go up against fellow Democrats Tom Suozzi and Jumaane Williams to become the official Democratic Party candidate.

The early arrival of the checks hasn’t gone unnoticed, with New York media outlets noting a curious message that appears to have been added to the checks.

“Gov. Hochul and the New York State Legislature are providing you this,” the checks read.

It isn’t the first time that incumbent governors or elected officials have used checks like this to remind taxpayers who approved the rebates, and likely won’t be the last.

More On the Stimulus Check

Roughly three million homeowners across the state are expected to receive $2.2 billion in tax refunds this year, in an effort to ease the pressure on homeowners responsible for both New York’s high property taxes and the rising cost of food, fuel, and household goods.

Residents should expect to receive as much as $1,050, with an average of $425 headed to New York City households. Homeowners outside of the city should generally expect more, with residents receiving an average of $970. Roughly two million of the three million eligible households are outside of the city.

Households earning less than $75,000 per year are expected to receive an average rebate payment of $1,050.

Who Is Eligible for the ‘Stimulus Check’?

To receive the homeowner tax rebate credit (HTRC), New York homeowners must have also qualified for the 2022 School Tax Relief program – another statewide tax relief program that sends eligible taxpayers a check every year to pay school taxes.

Homeowners must have an annual household income of less than $250,000 for the 2020 tax year, and have a school tax liability for the 2022-2023 school year that is more than their 2022 School Tax Relief program benefit.

Not sure if you qualify? You won’t need to do the math. The New York state government website informs taxpayers that the government will determine eligibility based on tax filings and send out checks accordingly.

Qualifying taxpayers should expect to receive the check sometime in June, with a small percentage receiving them later in the summer owing to some expected school tax data delays.

Jack Buckby is a British author, counter-extremism researcher, and journalist based in New York. Reporting on the U.K., Europe, and the U.S., he works to analyze and understand left-wing and right-wing radicalization, and reports on Western governments’ approaches to the pressing issues of today. His books and research papers explore these themes and propose pragmatic solutions to our increasingly polarized society.

Jack Buckby is 19FortyFive's Breaking News Editor. He is a British author, counter-extremism researcher, and journalist based in New York. Reporting on the U.K., Europe, and the U.S., he works to analyze and understand left-wing and right-wing radicalization, and reports on Western governments’ approaches to the pressing issues of today. His books and research papers explore these themes and propose pragmatic solutions to our increasingly polarized society.

1. Ann

June 16, 2022 at 8:03 am

Why isn’t everyone getting a check , just because we don’t own a house that’s not fair we are all spending a lot more money on gas and good !!

• Monique L Johnson

June 21, 2022 at 4:11 pm

EXACTLY

• Kevin Fluno

July 2, 2022 at 8:04 am

Renters pay taxes thru rent payments

• joanna falbo

September 7, 2022 at 5:34 pm

I thought we were getting another check.I do not own a home but does that matter?

2. CBK

June 24, 2022 at 11:04 am

I am on Social Security I do not pay taxes because I make under $10,000 I think it’s only fair that we should get some kind of relief too it seems like everybody skirts around the senior citizens in this country and then we get shafted at the end and getting really tired of it. I don’t understand why you cannot give senior citizens some kind of assistance because we’re getting absolutely nothing

3. George Hopper

August 18, 2022 at 9:29 pm

We qualify for that check in everything they list yet no check! I expected as mich

4. Deborah Brown

August 22, 2022 at 4:45 pm

What the hell Gov Kathy. We have to live to the low income people of NYC. And nys. Why were not getting stimulus check we suffering out here food cost high I don’t get food stamps I work only part 185. And week single parent well no children on my case of I can’t even get food stamp I only got unemployment of 300. An week like 1 1/2. Ago now and the system will not give me food stamps saying I make to much how my rent is $300. If that I’m behind rent now cost of living is so high out here food you buy 4 to 6 things that’s 70 something dollars. You guys took my federal taxes for nothing saying no child care whom I put on my 20 and 21 taxes. But haven’t received my money. He was in school at 20 years old still I disability at age 19 to 20. So yes I claim my son send them proof of him going to school still didn’t get my refunds. So his wasn’t in my case I put in for food stamp 5 times keep getting turn down you guys only giving mother and under age 17 money but what about people that out here still needs funds what’s going with nyc system you not helping us out here single people should be able to get stimulus funds too . Low income ones

5. Sue

August 30, 2022 at 7:48 am

This is NOT a stimulus check! It has nothing to do with food stamps or child care credits. It is a rebate on your property (school) taxes that is tied directly to the STAR credit and your municipality’s tax cap. Home owners pay school taxes even if they’ve never had children in school. Renters are NOT paying property taxes by paying rent. Homeowners pay ridiculous property taxes on top of mortgage payments. The HTRC is not a social program.
    So tired of hearing everyone whining when they don’t get “their share”. EVERYONE is low income these days! If you can’t afford to live on unemployment go out and get a job.

6. Richard

November 7, 2022 at 4:40 pm

Typical of our government, they tax everything you have and then offer a small amount back and we are supposed to be happy.