Joe Biden’s age and concerns about the economy are hurting the president with voters. The latest IBD/TIPP Poll finds that only 36% of voters approve of the work Biden is doing as president, and 54% disapprove.
Joe Biden Has Poll Problems
His net approval fell 10 points, from -8% to -18%, since September. A month ago, 41% approved and 49% disapproved of Biden’s job performance.
“Biden’s approval rating among poll participants earning up to $75,000 actually was unchanged from September, with 35% approval and 54% disapproval,” Investor’s Business Daily reported. “Yet Biden’s support fell off a cliff among those earning more than $75,000.
This group of higher earners now disapproves of Biden 54% to 39%. Biden is back underwater among higher earners after 59% approval and 35% disapproval in September. Prior to that, higher earners disapproved of Biden 48%-41.5% and 47%-43% in August and July.”
College graduates now disapprove of Biden by a 44% to 48% margin. In September, that stood at 53% positive about Biden and 40% against in the same category. And in August it stood at 50%-44%.
Investor’s Business Daily finds that the persistent increases in core inflation that include food and housing costs are an important factor in Biden’s unpopularity. The economy recovered 13.45 million jobs from the pandemic in Biden’s first 31 months as president. However, Americans have felt the financial pinch from inflation.
“The IBD/TIPP Poll finds that just 16% of adults say their wages have kept pace with inflation, down from 20% in September. Meanwhile 60% say they haven’t kept up vs. 54% last month. The poll responses don’t necessarily line up with official inflation numbers. The Labor Department says real average hourly earnings rose 0.5% over the past year, meaning that wages have slightly outpaced inflation for the average worker,” the Investor’s Business Daily report said. “Still, with higher interest rates, renewed student loan payments and higher gas prices all taking a toll, the IBD/TIPP index measuring financial-related stress jumped 2.4 points to 70.5. That’s above the 69.8 reading in April 2020, just after the Covid lockdown and the highest since December 2008. Readings above 50 indicate rising stress.”
This is not the only warning sign for Biden. History shows that every president, including Donald Trump, who sought re-election amid a bad economy has lost. Jimmy Carter lost in 1980 following Ronald Reagan’s quip, “Are you better off today than you were four years ago?” And George H.W. Bush lost in 1992 because he refused to acknowledge the U.S. was in a recession.
Polling Shows Support for Biden Slipping
Biden should take this as a warning. Polling shows the enthusiasm for him in the probable rematch against Trump is sagging. A new Monmouth College poll shows that Biden trails Trump when it comes to voter enthusiasm.
“Just 42 percent of registered voters said they’d back Biden against Trump — 31 percent who said they’ll definitely do so and 11 percent who said they’ll probably cast their ballots for him. That figure is down 5 points from July, when 47 percent said they’d vote for the incumbent against the former president,” Julia Mueller of The Hill reported. “In the latest poll, 31 percent said they’d definitely support Trump and 12 percent said they probably would, for a combined 43 percent. That’s up from July, when 40 percent said they’d vote for Trump over Biden.”
John Rossomando is a defense and counterterrorism analyst and served as Senior Analyst for Counterterrorism at The Investigative Project on Terrorism for eight years. His work has been featured in numerous publications such as The American Thinker, The National Interest, National Review Online, Daily Wire, Red Alert Politics, CNSNews.com, The Daily Caller, Human Events, Newsmax, The American Spectator, TownHall.com, and Crisis Magazine. He also served as senior managing editor of The Bulletin, a 100,000-circulation daily newspaper in Philadelphia, and received the Pennsylvania Associated Press Managing Editors first-place award for his reporting.
From the Vault