More Bad Polls for Joe Biden: Biden’s Support Slightly Dips in Hypothetical 2024 Rematch Against Trump, Monmouth University Poll Shows – In a recent Monmouth University poll, former President Donald Trump gained a 1-point advantage over President Joe Biden in a hypothetical 2024 election rematch.
Bad Polls: Two Words Joe Biden Needs to Worry About
The survey revealed that 42 percent of registered voters would back Biden against Trump, with 31 percent stating they would definitely vote for him and 11 percent probably voting for him. This represents a 5-point drop from July when 47 percent expressed their support for the incumbent president.
Conversely, 31 percent of respondents said they would definitely support Trump, and 12 percent stated they probably would, totaling 43 percent. This figure has increased since July when 40 percent indicated they would vote for Trump over Biden. A notable trend emerged with a majority expressing uncertainty or unwillingness to vote for either leading candidate—57 percent for Biden and 56 percent for Trump.
Biden Struggles With Black, Latino and Asian Voters
The poll is the latest to underline a significant decrease in support for Biden among Black, Latino, and Asian voters, while Trump has witnessed an upswing in these demographics. Despite concerns about his age, with Biden at 80, he remains committed to running for reelection. His campaign and supporters remain undeterred by the president’s declining poll numbers, pointing to his record and achievements.
On the other side, Trump is vying for a return to the Oval Office amid ongoing legal battles, including multiple criminal indictments. As the clear front-runner in the Republican primary race, he has abstained from attending the party’s initial debates.
This fresh poll, conducted from September 19 to 24 among 737 registered voters, yielded a margin of error of plus or minus 4.5 percentage points.
The decline in support for Biden and the rise in Trump’s favor among certain demographics highlight the evolving landscape of the 2024 presidential race. The upcoming months are critical as candidates strategize and tailor their campaigns to win over key constituencies.
The Latest Blow To Biden’s Campaign
This latest blow to the Biden campaign comes just weeks after The Wall Street Journal revealed that 59% of voters disapprove of Biden’s handling of the economy, showcasing a significant dent in his economic approval ratings. Additionally, nearly three out of four voters express worry about inflation, signaling that the public is apprehensive about the economic direction.
President Biden’s perceived age also presents a major hurdle, with 59% of voters deeming him too old for a second-term run. The poll showed that only 39% view him favorably, indicating a decline in his popularity.
However, the most concerning aspect for President Biden is being statistically tied with former President Donald Trump in a hypothetical 2024 rematch. Trump remains the front-runner within the Republican Party, despite facing legal challenges at both federal and state levels.
Approximately 73% of voters perceive him as too old for a presidential run, and 36% believe he possesses the mental acuity required for the role. Comparatively, 47% of voters view Trump as too old for a presidential run, and 46% believe he possesses the necessary mental acuity.
As the 2024 election cycle unfolds, it remains to be seen how these numbers and public perceptions will shape the trajectory of the presidential race.
Georgia Gilholy is a journalistt based in the United Kingdom who has been published in Newsweek, The Times of Israel, and the Spectator. Gilholy writes about international politics, culture, and education.
From the Vault