Uncategorized

F-35I Adir: The Special Stealth Fighter Only Israel Can Fly

F-35I Adir
F-35I Adir. Image Credit: Israeli Air Force.

The F-35I Adir Is Truly Special for Many Unique Reasons: This month, three Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II fighter jets arrived at Israel’s Nevatim Air Base, bringing the Israeli Air Force’s total force to 33. An additional 17 of the high-capable fifth-generation stealth aircraft are set to be delivered, bringing the total number of aircraft in service in the Middle Eastern nation to 50.

Israel, which is the sole operator of the F-35 in the Middle East, last received three of its planned order of F-35s in September 2021. Israel became the first foreign nation to select the F-35 through the U.S. government’s Foreign Military Sales process when the Letter of Agreement was signed more than a decade ago in October 2010. On June 22, 2016, the Israeli Air Force (IAF) received its first F-35A at a ceremony at Lockheed Martin’s Fort Worth, Texas facilities.

Meet the F-35I “Adir”

While the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) had been the first foreign military to express interest in the aircraft, it raised the concern that the stealth capabilities could be partly overcome within a decade despite the 30 to 40-year service life.

To address this issue, Israel sought to utilize its own electronic warfare system (EWS). Initially, the U.S. had refused to allow such changes but eventually agreed to allow Israel to integrate its own EWS, including sensors and countermeasures, on top of the U.S. systems.

Additional changes included a special, IAF-tailored helmet-mounted display, bespoke datalink functionality that is specific to the IDF, while other enhancements further improved the F-35’s already-potent data gathering and processing capabilities.

All of those new enhancements to the stealth aircraft were significant enough to warrant the ‘I’ designation, making the F-35I one of just a handful of formally acknowledged F-35 variants.

Moreover, the Israeli Air Force gave the F-35 the name Adir, meaning “Mighty One” in Hebrew.

Israel’s Special F-35 in Service

The Middle Eastern nation had previously announced that it would buy more than 100 F-35I fighters at an estimated cost of more than $5 billion to replace the IAF’s F-16s – but that was scaled back to just 50.

As per the procurement negotiations, the first 19 aircraft to be delivered were the standard F-35A models, while the remaining aircraft would adhere to the F-35I standard. As of September 2021, the IAF has 30 F-35s in service and currently operates three squadrons out of Nevatim Air Base, located southeast of Be’er Sheva, near moshav Nevatim.

Those squadrons include the 116 Squadron, “Lions of the South,” which became the first to transition to the fifth-generation fighter; the 117 Squadron, “First Jet,” which operates as an F-35I training squadron; and the 140th Squadron, also known as the “Golden Eagle Squadron,” which was reactivated specifically in 2015 to receive the Adir.

On May 22, 2018, Israeli Air Force commander, Major General Amikam Norkin, had reported that Israel had become the first country in the world to use the F-35 in combat, when the jets were used to strike Iranian missile launch sites in Syria. Earlier this month an F-35I also shot down a pair of Iranian drones for the first time.

Given the situation in the Middle East, it seems those F-35Is are arriving not a moment too soon.

Now a Senior Editor for 1945, Peter Suciu is a Michigan-based writer who has contributed to more than four dozen magazines, newspapers and websites. He regularly writes about military hardware, and is the author of several books on military headgear including A Gallery of Military Headdress, which is available on Amazon.com. Peter is also a Contributing Writer for Forbes.

Expert Biography: A Senior Editor for 1945, Peter Suciu is a Michigan-based writer who has contributed to more than four dozen magazines, newspapers, and websites with over 3,000 published pieces over a twenty-year career in journalism. He regularly writes about military hardware, firearms history, cybersecurity, and international affairs. Peter is also a Contributing Writer for Forbes. You can follow him on Twitter: @PeterSuciu.

1. L'amateur d'aéroplanes

April 23, 2022 at 10:53 pm

Is it planned that the F-35A will be transformed into F-35I?

2. tommi.hyypia

April 24, 2022 at 1:57 am

This was new knowledge for me and I’m quite heavy reader of military and weapons publications.One thing which is odd that Israel only ordered 50 planes. Compared 64 planes that Finland purchased.

3. Michael Nunez

April 24, 2022 at 2:39 am

Luckily for Israel they are on America’s Welfare , if not there is no Adir…. .

• JonathanInTelAviv

April 25, 2022 at 12:27 am

Israeli successes with expensive American fighters are the best sales tools those expensive planes have. It’s a terrific combination.

4. Julius Rosen

April 24, 2022 at 6:29 am

Hopefully it lives up to it’s reputation

5. Eddie Burgett

April 24, 2022 at 9:31 am

Our brothers and sisters in Israel you are getting a remarkable piece of equipment and you know that it is very important they get the best to protect it’s country without Israel the middle east would be a mess

6. Me

April 24, 2022 at 10:23 am

Now Isreal will claim they invented this aircraft and sell to China again.

7. Frank Manimbia

April 25, 2022 at 1:30 am

I am from Papua New Guinea and my name is Frank Manimbia

8. custom bdsm gear

August 27, 2022 at 12:06 pm

A few days ago Arianna as well as I was talking as well as I was
    mosting likely to transform the means she greeted me.
    She did welcome me on knees bent forward with arms extended face down. I advised
    her I now wanted servant position # 2 The exact same however encountering far from
    me hands on butt dispersing apart.
    In the very first setting she really felt much more like a slave as well
    as explained while in that position she had a huge smile on her face
    due to the fact that I was residence, and she might not wait to
    see me. After we talked I made that modification. It absolutely makes Arianna proud to kneel as well
    as wait on me to stroll with the door.
    This is not when she feels like it, the greeting is everyday.
    I expect no much less from my Slave. While chain training when you
    are talking all eyes ought to be on you (latex bondage in chastity belt).
    You can tell when someone is listening and when they are
    not and you make the improvements with a mild pull on the Leash.
    People took photos however nobody stated anything.
    I did not actually expect any type of comments, however
    throughout bike week I have seen way crazier shit than some bitch
    using a collar as well as chain. You might
    not intend to be seen in public, which is fine.

I have not offering much idea to training Arianna with a
    Leash.
    I have offering it some thought in the past, and also I may effectively here in the future.
    The Collar as soon as put around their neck provides a feeling of
    being complete. They have actually worked
    so difficult to make. They have providing much more in 6 months
    to a year than they have ever before providing. complete in bondage in a chastity belt.
    There is means greater than just the sensation of being possessed.
    After that you add the Chain. You the Dominant are currently in full
    control. If the Servant or Submissive is in the best state of mind it will take them areas they have actually never been before.
    Complete power exchange. They now understand they
    have to adhere to without doubt.
    Read More about Lavender Bondage BeltMade
    use of on a daily basis they will quickly adjust, and will most likely welcome the Chain when you bring it out.
    One point you never ever utilize is a choker collar,
    never ever, never, never.